“Do you think it is in human nature to be adulterous?”….



This was one of the questions they asked in the preliminary auditions for recruiting new members in an allegedly  “intellectual” club in our institute….

While I am certain that the person responsible for framing this question had only the intention of eliminating the undeserving candidates, the one thing I really doubt about is, does he really understand the gravity of the word,’ adultery’?

Adultery is a fine word to discuss about when you want to gauge someone’s philosophical aptitude, or intellect; in some cases, it even serves as a good test of vocabulary…but I really doubt how many have really witnessed it practically…..yeah, practically, not the stupid stuff you get to see in the run-of-mill scripts that happen to make those daily soaps so very irresistible….when I say adultery, I mean it-, I mean each and every alphabet that make up this dreaded word….

Have any of them seen how this dreaded action can cause the fragile and delicate framework of the acceptable social structure to collapse , not very unlike a house of cards, that requires a tremendous amount of concentration and dedication to build up, but can fall victim to an erratic gust of wind……

It’s in the same erratic manner that a human mind wanders from the monotonous surroundings, seeking perhaps a moment of thrill, a shot of adrenaline …stuff which is really hard to come by considering our daily lives…. Perhaps it is this very lure that causes the adventure- seeking mind to stray a bit farther than the prevalent social decrees allow….but with what consequences?? These sitcoms will have you believe that..well… the hapless individual who happened to flout the social customs, realizes his mistakes just in time…everything settles down as before…and people go home happy, safe and secure….a  supposedly perfect ending to what actually is an imperfect portrayal of one of the most imperfectly understood deviations of the human mind…..

Let me give you an alternate scenario…..how about a story where the ‘hapless’ person….. the one who invariably gets victimized into ‘adulterous’ situations by the vamp……isn’t that much hapless at all?? What if he feels that his new and exciting lifestyle is infinitely more preferable to the boring and conventional one that he was forced to lead till now….what if he values his momentary thrill much more than the peace and tranquility of a well-settled life….. what if the people in his life earlier are just left hanging  behind as heavy, unavoidable weights, slowing him down……    what if for him, adultery is a way of life, and an exciting one, at that????

….especially when these losers are so much dependant on him that they practically have to toe his line?? What does he do then???       

Well, let’s say he gives them a choice

  •       Continue the charade of leading a normal life, let  me do my THING….but beware, don’t even think of revealing anything about my lifestyle to anyone, else that means you will have to forego the financial aid that I so kindly bestow upon you….
  •        Call it quits…..and go your own way..let me go mine….

Now, it is really considerate of him…all this giving of options is a really kind and endearing gesture, which I’m sure everyone will agree……who cares about the finer points, like the fact that the dependants (losers) include a boy and a girl, both in their formative and developing years, where parental guidance and influence, as well as maintaining a clean reputation is of paramount importance; or the fact that these losers are so apprehensive of social ostracization, they will have no choice other than clinging to option number one…..

So, what do we get….an “ adulterous earning member in the family, his dependants (a bunch of losers actually, without the capability to do anything in this big, bad world on their own) who are forced on to keep on their “happy ,contended family”  façade and slave under his iron rule …a concubine who really is the one at advantage in this bittersweet saga, enjoying all types of pleasure, both financial and physical......lots of drama everyday at home, when any of these losers try to stand up for rights-both for what is right, and for their rights; action, violence(unfortunately no sex) and lots of unhappy, inconclusive treaties and truces being formed daily, which, for the matter, promise more and better stuff the next day….this goes on and on and on…….until…well, let’s leave it at that, the remaining script is still to be completed….

 A fantastic script, don’t you think so?? Maybe I should approach some of those producers with ample time and money to waste on these mindlessly ridiculous sitcoms……….

Simply enthralling!!!  I think it’ll give any K-fare a run for its money, won't it???

I only have one misgiving….will I be able to find suitable performers who could uphold the true spirit of the script….natural actors to render flawless performances?? Aafter so many months of witnessing all these in real life, will the reel-life action suffice?? Probably it will…because it will really be an interesting experience to see it all from a third-person’s point of view……it really gets boring if you have to play the loser every day………

 

9 comments:

good maiden job buddy..!

you got a very beautiful template...
sorry to say i am not able to read the post..

Nice theme...one has to copy these letters to notepad to read..

It's possibly bad of me to try to wave off the air of secrecy, but who exactly are you? I can make out you are from my college (this post allows enough hint).

Thanks for following. :)

Oh, by the way, do watch Francois Truffaut's classic Jules et Jim. The film offers a take on adultery that defies our preconceived (conservative) notions. Though adultery is not the main theme, it is a running current throughout.

On second thoughts, that was so like me: dropping movie names at the drop of the proverbial hat! :P

sudipto,

i would rather not answer that... i would not be able to justify the exposure of so many skeletons.......so it's better i keep the secrecy of my identity intact..
yeah, and your blog, is really fascinating... and as i went through that , i am equally aware of your fasicnation with films...and your excellent reviews of classics....they do make for a good read..
and whatever i say here, is something that is happening.....i guess that would make it a teeny-weeny bit more realistic than any movie....
won't it?

Wathh iss ttiiss!!!?? Unreadable!! :'(

thanks for following :)

This write up suddenly reminded me of a song by Metallica titled...Am I Evil?...to which in the second line he roars...'I am Man, Yes I Am'. Well, its a dead-given undeniable fact that we all have a darker side to the one we show to the world at any given moment...well written piece but the formatting could have made the reading a tad easier...btw..thanks for the following...if you want to take a movie...walk into any household with a camera and youll find natural performers at their best...sometimes actors perform...but performers never act. Ull need to find em red-handed...which is a tough job! :) cheers!!!

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
India
Who am I?? all I am sure about is that I am not the person who goes about with my face and body.... he is too mild, too vulnerable, too logical, too bound by social conventions, easily distracted and more easily disturbed......I'm much more....calculative, unscruplous, determined...more vicious than virtuous....everything I'm not supposed to be in real life....

About this blog

This is not just a blog to assuage any teenaged addiction….not now that I have passed that stage…

This is just another version of life…very much like the others that you will see…with the only exception that the narrator happens to possess a twisted, warped and tortured mind….a mind that has suffered, and is still suffering from the obstacles put forward by life in its path…this is the story of the HOLLOWS, that fill up my life……   

however, I admit….I am happy…happy that I can no longer complain of not being aware of what goes on in the big, bad world….happy that I have been exposed to the nuances  of life at this age….happy, because I can no longer plead ignorance of the reality…that there is not much out there which can confound me….that the shock which initially hit me has consequently reduced the chances of a repeat substantially…..

And last of all…I am relieved, because I can no longer get lost in the dark depths of depression…not when I have spent so much time there that this is like home to me…

Being overtly pessimistic, am i?? well….can’t help it much…this is what I call my life…..


Followed by: